Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bangkok round 2 nov. 3rd-Nov. 7th

Liz and I got on an overnight bus from Phuket to Bangkok. Let me tell you they love their AC here in Southeast Asia. Every time we get on a bus they blast the air and I don't have warm clothing. Oh and the dude sitting behind me thought it was a great idea to stick his bare nasty stinky feet on my arm rest between my chair and window. I was not having it so I stuck my back pack in the space and pushed his feet off. I figured if I said something in English he wouldn't understand so desperate times calls for desperate measures and pushing his feet with my bag was the only way. Liz and I tried to fall asleep but it was difficult to sleep in the cold.

The next morning we woke up and saw that the bus was entering Bangkok. When we got off the bus we were hoping there would be a tuk tuk. Our only choice was another bus or take a cab to Khao Sahn rd. Back to backpacker land. We decided to take a cab. Now after traveling in Thailand for a month you know when the locals are trying to scam you or take advantage of the fact that you are a tourist. When we got to the cab we wanted to charge us a flat rate 400 baht! I said NO! I want meter! After haggling with the cab drivers I got my wish.

We had the cab take us to Sawasdee hotel, which was the hotel that Eden and I stayed in when we first came to Bangkok, and settled in. We were looking forward to San Diego and the British boys to make their way up here and we would see them the next day.

Liz and I were debating on playing with tigers or going to the seven step waterfall so we decided to walk around and go to different tour agencies to compare pricing. While we were in one of the offices Liz looked outside the window and saw Scott, Eden's friend, walking down the street. We got so excited and greeted him. He took us to a museum and a mall that was serving different types of food. I had some vegetarian fried rice and Scott and Liz had some meat satay and seafood. Scott had to head out to meet a friend so Liz and I got on a bus that was free back to our hotel. We would meet Scott later for drinks since he was heading to the islands the next day.

Liz and I had some street pad thai for a $1 and made our way up to the rooftop bar where there is a one man coverband. This Thai guy sang a couple of classics and has an amazing voice. It doesn't sound like he is Thai. We ended up sharing a table with two guys from England. They just met each other at the bar and we were having a great time until things got really awkward. One of the guys became extremely cocky and told me that he was going to kiss me and then the other guy discreetly told me he was interested in me as well. In my early 20's I would have found this flattering but I was so uncomfortable and it created an awkward atmosphere. I just came to the bar to hear the one man band. Luckily Scott came and when he finished his beer we left and headed back to the hotel. One of the guys, not the cocky one, came running after me to kiss me and I said no. I let him down easy and wished him well. We headed to our hotel and arranged to have breakfast with Scott before he headed down south.

Next morning we met up with Scott around 9am and ate at a restaurant around the corner from our hotel. We had the most amazing egg sandwiches on baguettes and tea. Breakfast cost us $3 per person not bad right? We then said goodbye to Scott and decided to use this day to run some errands.

So I had decided to continue to travel with Liz and go to Vietnam and Cambodia with her. This meant that we needed to get Visas for Vietnam. I'm sure we got scammed because we had to pay $100 just to get the visa when we should have done it online but what was done was done. We spent the day running around booking flights and running errands. We met up with San Diego and the boys for dinner. Liz and I decided to call it a night and let the boys have a boys night.

The next day we took it easy, chilled and I got to go to yoga and Liz was able to get a mani pedi. We also realized that when we booked our flight we booked it for the 6th but our visas were for the 7th. Yup I know how silly are we. We had to go to the Air Asia office to switch our flight and unfortunately we had to pay an additional $44 for our flight. Oh well you win some and you lose some.

At night we met back up with the boys to eat some street food. The boys also ate bugs like grasshoppers and grubs. We then headed to the rooftop bar to listen to the one man band...he is there every night I guess. For some reason I just couldn't hang so I called it a night.

The next day Liz and I decided to show the boys around Bangkok. Liz and I agreed that we were having a better a time in Bangkok since we knew our way around and knew what to expect. We took the boys to the market and walked on the streets where Thais were selling stolen goods, food, and the boys didn't believe me that you could buy human teeth off the street until they saw it with their own eyes. We then took them to the reclining Buddha. This place was a little tough for me to return to since its where my camera was stolen. But I went and bumped into the same security guard that made puppy faces at me when I offered money for my camera back. I gave him a nod like I know you and he didn't recognize me. I let it all go and moved on. I've made new memories with my new camera.

The boys were leaving around 5:30 to catch a bus to Chiang Mai and Liz and I were going to pull an all nighter since our flight was at 6am. We had one last meal with the boys and I had a coconut. I've developed an addiction to coconut whether its the actual coconut or in a shake. So good!

Aaron, the guy who lives in Bangkok, came to have dinner with Liz and I. He treated us which we greatly appreciated. Went out to the roof top bar and pulled our all nighter. At 4am we headed to the airport to catch our flight to Vietnam!

No comments:

Post a Comment